Paul Tetlaw has just been re-reading D.L.G. Hunter’s history of Edinburgh Transport.
It seems that in 1922 when the cable network was being converted to electric traction there was fierce opposition to the erection of overhead wires on Princes Street. This was lead by the Cockburn Association and the Edinburgh Citizens Protection Committee and led to a public enquiry.
The outcome was a decision to use slender centre poles which also carried the street lighting.
How history repeats itself!!!!